Contact our Law Office:


9am to
5pm CST
Mon. - Fri.

Check My Case Status


The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows certain foreign-born, biological and adopted children of American citizens to acquire American citizenship automatically. These children did not acquire American citizenship at birth, but they are granted citizenship when they enter the United States as lawful permanent residents (LPRs).

The child must meet the following requirements:

  • Have at least one American citizen parent by birth or naturalization
  • Be under 18 years of age
  • Live in the legal and physical custody of the American citizen parent
  • Be admitted as an immigrant for lawful permanent residence

A child who enters the United States on an IR4 visa (to be adopted in the United States) will acquire American citizenship when the adoption is full and final in the United States.

A child who has lawful permanent residence (LPR status) will have a permanent resident card (green card). Another way to show LPR status is the I-551 stamp in the child’s passport. This stamp shows the child has entered the United States on an immigrant visa and/or has been admitted as a lawful permanent resident.

In addition, if the child is adopted, the adoption must be full and final.

Country-Specific Adoption Information:

A Green Card allows an individual to live and work permanently in the U.S. For a free consultation, please fill a web consultation form or call 312.588.0466.

  • Share/Bookmark